Thursday, April 30, 2015

It's all about the air

04/30/2015

JW was in the hospital this past week-end. I'm not sure how I am starting to keep my composure when these things happen but I seem to be able to stay calm until after the fact. Mother called upstairs to tell me that JW was not responding to her at all when she was trying to stir him to get him ready for bed. When James and I got down there JW had the Alzheimer look on his face. The blank stare that lets you know that he is not with us at the moment. That in itself is not unusual but his facial features did not seem to be symmetric to me. I had James call 911 and we told the dispatcher what his symptoms were. I still don't know why I thought he needed to go in but that is a call that you have to make in split second. If you hesitate and it's truly is a stroke or a brain event time is precious. Mother went in the ambulance and I followed.

When we got to the hospital JW was still remote but the Alzheimer look was gone. I asked him later if he gets scared when we take him too the hospital. He said that he did not. I told him that if I was taking him somewhere other than the ER I would tell him and not just leave him. The standard tests were called up and brain CT and xrays were done. They told us that they could not tell if he has had a stroke but if I wanted to they could hook electrodes to his brain and do further testing. I must have looked like a carp with my mouth hanging open because I said, "My Father is 87 years old. Do you honestly think I am going to let you do brain surgery just so I can find out if he has had a stroke." The limbs were all moving, to the best of their ability, and JW was giving one word answers. Good enough for us.

Mother and I sat with him most of the night and watched him sleep. Mother and I came home the next morning and I was going to go to the office. We were called to go back up to the hospital and that gave us quite a start. When we get there we are told that the doctor on call was sleeping and he would be down to talk to us directly. OK, so we park it again to wait. The doctors had been hinting that maybe it was time to consider a nursing home. Mother and I both made a pact that as long as JW is mobile and can get out of bed and out of his chair we are going to keep him home in familiar surroundings. Also, as long as he is non violent. The Dr. in charge looked at my Father and said "do you know how blessed you are?" My Father shook his head yes. The medical personnel at the V.A. Hospital have told us numerous times that they see patients all the time that have no family around to assist them. What they wanted us back up there for was the physical therapist was coming up in the afternoon to see if JW was back at his base line for mobility. They had him walk around his room and sit down and stand up a few times. Then he was released and could go home.

Now about the air. Physical therapy came over last week and installed an air mattress for JW. It is the most amazing thing. It automatically adjusts the air pressure at different pressure points up and down his body all night. The first night it was not very comfortable so Mother let out some of the air so it was not firm but medium. Since than he has sleep like a rock. He usually sleeps 18 out of 24 hours a day anyway but this way the pressure points have been minimized as not to cause bed sores. That is one thing that Mother is really vigilant about. He has had no open sores in the 5 years that he has been diagnosed.

Tomorrow is National Chocolate Parfait Day. Also, National Space Day.

It's also May Day. I was married on May Day. Enjoy. Thank your higher power for your family. No family, no problem. Thank your higher power for a new day and for your many blessings.

Love, Phyllis

No comments:

Post a Comment