Saturday, August 29, 2015

Through the eyes of a child

08/29/2015

Finally! a sort of a weekend with my kids. James and I took my daughter-in-law and grandson to Hershey Park in Hershey, Pa.

I took last Friday off and we drove in and stayed at a hotel outside Hershey. For the same hotel 12 miles out of Hershey it was $84. per room, verses $213. in Hershey. After we had dinner in a lovely diner with Pennsylvania foods we went back to the hotel to go in the pool. We were the only ones in the pool for an hour. It was heaven. All we did was walk around in the cool water and talked our heads off. Of course we checked in on Mother and JW. It was only 3 hours away but if you are a care giver you still have that nagging concern in the back of your mind that you are deserting your charge. Not that my Father is my charge but you feel that you have to be within ear shot at all time.

We went into Hershey after that and toured Hershey World. When I was there 30 years ago it was a cute little ride through the attraction and one room full of candy at the end of the ride. Well now the little room is a mall and the ride is spectacular. We laughed at the animated cows and the reproduction of how to make chocolate. We were totally into enjoying the moment. Then we went back to the hotel to get some sleep.

Saturday morning, bright and early. We are going to go to the water park today. Now, James has a disability that would prevent him from any type of physical bumps and thumps. So his day is pretty much planned. Go inside the front gate, look around for a little while and go back to the vehicle and sleep for the afternoon in the air conditioning. My daughter-in-law does not like the water so who does that leave to go in the water with my grandson. Me, grandma.

I have never been at a water park and the first thing that Z wanted to go on was the lazy river. Now that is an attraction that I can deal with. Just float around on an inner tube and enjoy. We did that 4 times around. Then Z decided that he wanted to go in the wave pool. I have never been in a wave pool and you most definitely get thrown around. Good thing my daughter-in-law had Dramamine® in her tote bag. I had Z wait for me on the waters edge and I went a took a pill. Seemed to help. I think we were in that pool for 2 hours. Z had his eye on the water flume and told me that he was going to go on that. I asked him who was going to go on that with him and like a typical 11 year old he said, "you are."

You see my grandson does not see the white hair or the disabilities. He sees some one who loves him unconditionally. Someone who loves him just for who he is. Someone who lavishes love on him and his family because they are family. No other reason. Not for what they can do for me or what they have.

So, we waited in line for half an hour to ride the water roller coaster. I must admit that as we snaked through the waiting line my apprehension was on the rise. I was only on a roller coaster a couple of times in my entire life and I did not enjoy the sensation. BUT this was going to be a test of my willingness to stand by his side. Ok, we will do this. If going on the dang thing was not bad enough as we approached the front of the line Z decides that he wants to sit in the front seat. Oh holy Mother of GOD how am I going to do that!! Well, grandma being grandma gave him her biggest smile and said "Oh that will be wonderful!" Now we are getting in the seeming little car and I am shaking so hard I am sure that he sees it. But no, some how he was missed the shaking hands. OK, off we go, straight up for what seems like 20 minutes. When I am sure it is only 2 minutes. Take the turn and STRAIGHT DOWN we go. I did not breath for how ever long it took to hit the bottom but Z is laughing his head off. Then we ran to stand on the bridge at the end so we can get drenched again. Then we run to the splash zone on the walkway so we can get drenched again.

By now we are having a conversation that the park is so crowded that we need to go. Z wants to stay, grandma can hardly walk. I say. You have to come to visit this place but you have to leave this place. He seems to accept that and off we go to collect Mom and find the car with Poppi asleep in it. Then we start the drive home and all in all we have collected a few precious memories that grandma will relive over and over in her mind. Makes me smile.

Image result for flume ride at hershey park

Phyllis

No comments:

Post a Comment