Monday, October 12, 2015

Do I count the Tick or the Tock

October 12, 2015, 5:45 a.m.

If I start at A and pray for everyone that I know maybe that will make me sleepy. Or, will that just make me more anxious about everything that everyone in the world I know has problems just like I do. The one day this week that I can sleep in and I have insomnia. This is not a new occurrence. I have had insomnia for going on 30 years.

Last week I made a huge error in judgement. Any woman (or man) who has a significant other should know that if that other person has their own "space" in the shared residence you should stay out of the running of that "space". I on the other hand charge in like a bull in the proverbial china shop. James had a love seat in his man-cave. It belonged to a french provincial living room set that has been long gone from our home. I have hounded the poor man to get rid of that damn love seat for about a year now. 2 weeks ago he finally had someone come and cart it out of his man-cave. I was so relieved that it was gone and I actually could walk through the man cave with out running into a chair, cooler, radiator, air filter, 2 bakers racks full of books, foot stool, pedestal plant holder, fig tree, microwave shelf multi purposed to hold computer, security system, video monitors, metal milk can, magazine holder, approx. 12 plant holders and a pineapple plant. You get the idea. Well, one of James' friends dropped over for a cigar in the man-cave and the first thing I heard him say when he walked into James' space was, "Where are you going to take your daily nap now?" I just about fainted dead away at that exact moment. How in the world did I forget that with James' medical condition it is essential that he lie down for at least 46 minutes every afternoon. Now I'm thinking that I am the worse wife in the world. All I cared about was getting rid of that ugly old love seat and what I had actually done was get rid of the only place in this house that James felt secure enough to lie down and take his nap.

OK, I went into damage control and searched the inner corners of my mind to come up with a solution. First point, I do not care that he takes a nap every day just what he takes the nap on. Is there room in that spot to replace the love seat. Yes. How much money do you want to spend for a nap space. Can I move the 1950's enamel kitchen table with the humidor on it. No. If you replace the plastic lawn chair with a wrought iron lawn chair will that give you more room on that wall. Yes. Are you going for a day bed or a futon where James will not have to hang his legs over the arm of the love seat. Yes. Alright, let's begin.

"James, I was thinking that we should go look for more seating for the man-cave. We are having company for our 25th anniversary and may need some space out there to sit." Do you think that you could surf the intranet and find a good price on a futon." No problem sweetie. Whew!! After work last week off we go to a local outlet and sure enough there in all it's sleek beauty is a futon with extra sturdy frame, choice of 3 mattress', easy assembly and will fit in the back of my Santa Fe. It gets carried upstairs and put in the man-cave. Fits beautifully, covered with a patch work quilt, 3 throw pillows and the next day, (I am told) a very lovely nap was had. Dinner party Saturday night, lots of seating and all is well. EXCEPT I still have insomnia.

I have invaded the man-cave and am now trying to sleep on the futon and am now have thoughts of the soles of my feet wearing down. Crap.

The desk clock keeping ticking and I am trying to decide to count the tick or the tock.

Happy day off.

Phyllis


No comments:

Post a Comment