Sunday, December 6, 2015

The Polar Express®

12/05/2015

Maybe you don't know the feeling that all the magic has gone out of Christmas. All you need to do is try to drive to the store for some groceries and the traffic is bumper to bumper, people are screaming at you because apparently you don't know how to drive properly, at every stop light or stop sign the person behind you is only giving you 3 seconds to move your foot from the brake to the gas. That was my day today but I have total peace.

Last weekend we went to Utica, New York to go on The Polar Express® to the North Pole. The train station in Utica has been refurbished to the grand splendor that trains were given in 1941 when they opened it. It was magical with the grand waiting area, surrounded by marble pillars and 100's of people laughing and waiting to go to the North Pole. The large majority of the group were in pajama's, including my grandson who is 11. There were 5 of us so I knew that one of us was going to have to sit with someone else.

My son had taken the day off from work and I cannot tell you how good it was to finally spend time with all three of my kids. My son, his wife and my grandson plus James. We were unable to sit in the first class car because I did not know that you had to make your reservations for next year right after the season is over this year.  If you were sitting in first class you would get a lanyard to hold your gold ticket. Next thing you know my son had snuck off to the gift shop and returned with one of the lanyard's to hold Zack's golden ticket. It was hard to keep track of everything that was going on because it was constant motion through the entire station.

The conductor from the train was walking through all the groups so you could get pictures with him. There were really large Christmas trees so you could take photographs in front of them. There was a snowball game going on the the center of the hall and Santa's elf's were everywhere. Well, the conductor had a gold watch, just like in the movie, and next thing I know is James is carrying a watch back from the gift shop for Zack. His reaction was like someone had handed him a pound of gold.

Zack could not contain himself when we started to board the train.  I think he was unaware that we had to go right down to the train tracks to get on the train. Just like I thought the seats were in groups of four. That was OK. I sat with a three year named Carter and his Father. On the ride to the North Pole (Oriskany Falls) I learned that Carter's Father was a single dad and this was Carter's first time on the train also. On the train each section had a personal elf to take care of any of your needs. Our elf was named Mistletoe and she was adorable. The elf's played games with all the children and some of the games were for the adults also. The Polar Express® was read over the public address system and our elf walked up and down the aisle with a huge copy of the book. To just look at Carter watching out the window to catch a glimpse of Christmas lights you could see the magic of Christmas.

I could tell by the chatter that was going on that we were reaching our destination. There was a village coming into view and it was all lite up and I'm pretty sure we were at the North Pole. The train stopped and if you looked out the window on the north side of the train Santa was standing there and talking to us over the p.a. A little boy in his bath robe was standing with Santa and was asked what he wanted for Christmas. The little boy replied, "I would like a sleigh bell from your sleigh." Just like in the movie, Santa held up the Christmas bell and said, "The first gift of the Christmas season." Well, everyone was super excited by now.

When we started back to Utica Santa was on board and he sat with each child on each train car and gave them a sleigh bell from his sleigh. It truly was an event that I will always remember. Everyone was laughing and relaxed.

Update on JW. The chair lift has been installed and we are really anxious to try it out. The new hospital style table is working really well for meals. Mother and I put up the tree yesterday and he actually was talking. He hardly ever talks any longer and it was nice to hear him participate. Even if it was to complain the Mother was going to knock the tree over if she kept fussing with the ornaments.

Back to work tomorrow!! I will try to get back on before my surgery.

The magic of the holiday season is still here. Try to slow up a bit and just look around for it.

Peace,  Phyllis

No comments:

Post a Comment