Monday, January 25, 2016

There you have it..

January 24, 2016

Finally a day that was almost free from nausea caused by pain killers. Every morning since January 1st I have woke up sick. On December 29, 2015 I had the right hallux MTP fusion, bone graft from calcaneus, 2 through 5 metatarsal head excisions. Little did I know that the anesthesia doctor would give me two shots behind my right knee that would numb my leg from the knee down. Pain block equals no pain. TILL the third day after surgery. I do believe that I experienced more pain in the following days than any event in my memory.  I was not eating and of course James was having all kinds of issues with that. He did make me drink liquids until I thought I would start swishing when I went to the restroom. I have not been going downstairs to see JW or Mother until this past week. JW looked at me yesterday and asked my why I was on crutches. I just gave him a little information about my foot getting fixed.

I now have straight toes and I am looking forward to getting back to some sort of schedule. I have my days and nights confused and it is going to be hard work to get the rhythm back. The first visit back to the orthopedic office two week ago they removed the cast and I'm not sure what I was thinking but the wounds look nothing like I was imagining. Good thing I am not a Dr. I visualized the incisions going across the entire foot. No, they are up and down and I think they removed around 25 to 30 stitches. I was in my wheel chair and when the Dr. came in I had my leg up on the exam table and I said to him "have you ever seen better looking straight toes." He told me that he had done his job and apparently I was doing mine. Off my feet for 2 weeks with my toes above my nose. I expressed my joy!  The rheumatoid arthritis had deformed my foot so bad that I have had daily pain for around 8 years. I was kind of shocked at the 4 metal rods sticking out the end of my toes but he assured me that when he pulled them out on my next visit I would be very pleased.

On January 21st I went in to have the pins pulled. Really was clueless how that was going to be taken care of.  Dr. Fred came in and said I am going to hold your leg and on 3 I am going to pull the pin out. I looked and him and said, "you have to be kidding.  Don't I get a bullet to bite or some spray on the toes to numb them." He just laughed, "your toes are already numb and all you will feel is a little pressure."  I knew that it was too good to be true.  If the pin gets stuck when you are pulling it out it will stop and than they have to pull the darn thing all over again. Pins for toe number 2 and 4 got stuck. It hurt like heck. I had been having a stabbing pain in the right outside edge of my foot and could not figure out where that was coming from. Surprise the end of the rods are sharp like a sewing needle and while I was laying in bed I was moving my foot back and forth in the cast and sticking myself with the pin.

I should be able to go downstairs this coming week at least maybe once a day. I miss the daily visit to Mother and checking up on JW. I will not be able to drive until April and thank GOD I have such good friends at my office. One of my friends is going to be driving Mother to the grocery store and hair salon. I have received lots of get well cards and visits from friends. I feel like I have not fell off the face of the earth and I still have people who care about me. You get a really screwed up view of the world when you are flat on your back for weeks at a time.

I also got to take a shower today without a plastic bag up my leg. Hurray for small steps.

Au Revoir Jonas.

Rest in Peace: Professor Severus Snape / The Half Blood Prince

Phyllis

No comments:

Post a Comment