Sunday, February 7, 2016

I'm in it for the commercials

February 7, 2016

Super Bowl Sunday! This is the day that all football fans wait for if their favorite team makes the cut.  I don't really care for football nor do I care who made the cut. I am in it for the commercials. Most times in the past when we were invited to Super Bowl parties the men would take a bathroom break, go refill at the bar or go to the kitchen to refill their plates with food.  As far as the girls were concerned we stayed for the commercials. We would actually tell everyone to be quiet and rate the commercials. Some would lean towards the Dorito's® commercials and the majority would lean towards Budwiser® commercials. For the last couple of years the beer commercials have included a puppy. My extensive research on Super Bowl commercials indicate that the puppy is gone and there will be a new format this year.  I am going on the record right now at 11:30 a.m. that without a puppy and Clydesdale horse I am going to boycott the commercials this year.  Who can forget the Budwiser® commercial in 2002 showing the Clydesdale horses kneeling towards Manhattan. That commercial was only aired that one time yet we still remember it.   Seeing as I am unable to walk very good yet I will just have to cover my eyes. There have been some great commercials in the past Super Bowls that you talked about around the water cooler at work for weeks.

The next topic on Super Bowl Sunday is the half time show. Okay, how many remember left shark from last year. Katy Perry went on to generate publicity for months. All free advertisement because a back up dancer couldn't dance. As controversial as Michael Jackson was I still remember his half time show from January 31, 1993. It was 12.47 minutes of mesmerising show. No matter what human frailties that man had he could put on a show. That was the most watched EVER half time show. He raised the viewership by 8.6%. Drew in a 43.9 Nielsen rating which equaled a 65 share of the viewing audience.  I can't tell you who played that day but I can tell you the songs that Michael sang. I will reserve judgement on tonight's show. Bruno Mars, Beyonce and Cold Play are going to have to go some to get my vote.

When JW was hospitalized in June of 2009 and we started this Alzheimer journey James and I would politely decline invitations to parties. I have come to realize that if you are a care giver and have this added responsibility to your life after a rather short time you do not get invited to the parties any longer.  I am not complaining about the lack of social events. I take my role as helper, assistant to my Mother or care giver very seriously. Just keep in mind that this task can take over your entire life. The worry is always there. I am fortunate that I have such a large support group. My job with the Federal Government affords me the flexibility to take time off if I need it to attend to medical issues with my parents. I have coworkers that could not do more for me unless they lived with my parents. My baby brother is a constant support. As a care giver you need to have that support to get you through the rough places. If I did not have James to cook a lot of meals for Mother and JW it would be left to my Mother. Do not forget she is 86 and taking care of an 88 year old 24/7. Just the laundry is enough to defeat anyone.

Mother and JW eat every night as a family. James and I eat every night as a family. At the dinner table. Since JW is no longer comfortable in a straight back chair he does eat in his chair on the special pillows and Mother sits right with him.

Super Bowl is a really good excuse to sit down, relax, have a couple beers (if you are not driving) and watch some good commercials and half time shows.

Designate a driver, have a great time and enjoy the event.

Peace

Phyllis

Addendum 02/08/2016 - The game was boring. The commercials were terrible. The half time was okay because Bruno Mars was there.




No comments:

Post a Comment