Sunday, April 10, 2016

Adult coloring books

April 10, 2016

Okay, I finally gave in. The conversation around the water cooler at work has returned to the topic of adult coloring books over and over again. The primary consensus has been why pay $15.00 for a coloring book when you can go to the "Dollar Tree"® and get one for a dollar. Well, I am here to tell you why you probable should invest in one of these coloring books.

First of all, they have absolutely beautiful pictures. It takes color within the lines to a whole new level. It took me an hour to color a basket with flowers and leaves. That was only one corner. I did find that as I sat there and colored it took away alot of stress and I could meditate and go over prayer requests in my mind for that hour. I had decided that an hour was going to be my time limit. I have the type of personality that if I like doing something I will sit there for hours and only do that one thing. I need to set limits or I am lost.

The next major item that I had to deal with was what crayons should I use. Don't laugh. That is a very serious consideration. There are so many new pencil and pen sets on the market that if you go to Barnes and Noble® you will find sections with only coloring books and pencil sets. I was bound and determined that I was going to find the most vibrant colors that I could find that I could color in those tiny little spaces with.  I did buy a box of new color pencils and I was not entirely satisfied with the color. Then I thought to myself, "Duh, you have a complete art studio on the third floor and it is full of watercolor pencils." I went upstairs and gathered up as many colored pencils that I could from JW's studio. Not only did the pencils do the trick, I was thinking about JW the entire time that I was coloring.

Last week I started the working at home program that our office had made available to us. I am now working at home 3 days a week and I want to tell you the huge difference that it has made on my ability to help Mother cope with taking care of JW. I go downstairs and spend my morning break having tea and letting her talk. Sometime the most important thing is just sitting there. Then at lunch time if we are not having appointments I go down and eat lunch with them both. My Father was so happy. He even asked me how long I was home for.

I did not participate the first time the work at home program was offered because I was unsure how productive I could be away from the office environment. I can honestly say that because of the procedures that my Director has put into practise are working very well and I can stay on task and produce way more results than I could in the office environment. It's quiet and very comfortable sitting in my computer room and I made a deal with James that if I worked at home he was not to even put one toe over the threshold to my office. He has his own computer room and I do not encroach on his private space. It worked out well this past week and we will just have to see how it goes.

I finally made the appointment for Mother to go get hearing aids. She cannot hear and she had refused to go to an appointment. I just told her that it is dangerous and one of them needs to hear in case the fire alarm goes off. She agreed! I told her that we would take care of the cost and we will do what we can. No worries.

Sunday night, at peace, I think I might go color some more.

Rejoice in your life. Breath deeply and thank your higher power for every thing that you have been given.

Peace, Phyllis

No comments:

Post a Comment