Monday, December 19, 2016

Now I lay me down to sleep

December 19, 2016

I pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I should die before I wake

HOLD ON!!! I am beginning to question my sanity to teach a small child that prayer. The last 5 days have been one for the books.

I know that I told you many months ago that I have severe rheumatoid arthritis. I take an Enbril® shot once a week. My bones are getting in really bad shape and so my doctor decided that I need to take a bone strengthener. So, last Wednesday I went to get the new shot that was going to give me super strong bones. The infusion nurse had a little trouble finding a good vein, I would be a horrible drug addict, and had tried 2X's to give me the shot in the left arm. Finally she got another nurse to come in and she found a good vein on the other arm rather quickly.

The problem started in the first injection site where about half of the vial had gone under my skin. I am highly allergic to sulfa drugs, I mean to the point that I have almost died twice from the allergy reaction I get. Seems one of the inert ingredients of this shot belong in the sulfa family and by Friday when I woke up my arm was twice the size it should be. Uh-oh, have a problem here. I called the doctors office and explained that I was having an allergy reaction to the shot and maybe I should come in and see them. I went in right away and duh, "You are having an allergy reaction to your shot." I felt like saying "No s--- Dick Tracy" what was your first clue the gigantic left arm, the bright red color or the skin that is hot to touch. Hoping that I had more grace than that I just said, "I know." So here is what they came up with. Take these horse size antibiotics 4X's a day for 10 days and Benydryl® every 4 hours. Now I am wondering if the sulfa hits my heart will I be instantly dead. Plus they had the nerve to charge me for the last visit. UH, Hello I am here because you screwed up. Someone should have known that there was a sulfa drug in that shot.

This brings me to the sleeping prayer. I was starting to try to make deals with GOD. Ok, GOD if I die can I have a near death experience so I can come back after I visit heaven? If James does not wake me up in the middle of the night for the antibiotics will I not wake up. Have I done all I want to do here on earth? Not a good time to die GOD, Christmas week. Do they even have funeral's on Christmas. Plus, it is on a Sunday this year. So does that mean I would have to wait over a week for my send off.

I am full blooded German. My brother-in-law that passed over last month was Irish. That was a great wake. An honest to GOD Irish wake. I'm not Irish but I really do think that their wakes are pretty cool. *A "wake" for the dead harks back to a more antiquated meaning of the word: "watch" or "guard," rather than the "become or stay alert" definition that the word now carries. The term refers to the Anglo-Saxon tradition of holding all-night vigils and praying over the deceased.

Now I am trying to space my meds further apart so I can return to work tomorrow. When I had my foot surgery last December I used almost all of my accrued time and will not be taking 12 days of use or lose time this year. I will be working for the entire time.

New prayer: Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, When I wake up and say my daily prayer, I thank you Lord for all your care.  Amen

Happy Holidays!!
Peace,
Phyllis ♥

*Google® search.

No comments:

Post a Comment